TikTok says it has 'no choice' but to sue Trump administration over threatened US ban

Potential Microsoft purchase of TikTok is up to the president to approve: Keith Krach

U.S. Under Secretary of State Keith Krach says this deal is ‘a race against the clock’ because it’s about more than TikTok and WeChat. He says it’s about the Communist Party’s surveillance state using 5G as the backbone, China’s firewall and the reciprocity of American apps not being allowed in China.

(Reuters) – TikTok said on Monday that "we simply have no choice" but to sue the Trump administration over U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order banning transactions in the United States with the popular short-form video-sharing app.

Continue Reading Below

In a blog post, TikTok said it strongly disagreed with the White House's position that the company was a national security threat, saying it had "taken extraordinary measures to protect the privacy and security of TikTok's U.S. user data."

It also said the administration has ignored its "extensive efforts" to address its concerns, and accused Trump of politicizing the dispute by calling for a ban on TikTok in  Aug. 6 executive order.

"We do not take suing the government lightly," TikTok said. "But with the Executive Order threatening to bring a ban on our U.S. operations … we simply have no choice."

FACEBOOK'S ZUCKERBERG RAISED RED FLAGS CONCERNING THREAT OF TIKTOK

TikTok's complaint is expected to be filed later on Monday.

Amid growing distrust between Washington and Beijing, Trump has for weeks complained that TikTok, owned by Chinese internet company ByteDance Ltd, was a national security threat and might share information about users with the Chinese government.

(Associated Press)

His Aug. 6 executive order called for banning transactions with the app after 45 days.

Trump issued a separate executive order on Aug. 14 giving ByteDance 90 days to divest TikTok's U.S. operations and any data.

Reuters reported last week that TikTok was preparing to mount a legal challenge as early as Monday to Trump's Aug. 6 order.

NEGOTIATIONS TO SELL TIKTOK'S US ASSETS TO MICROSOFT IN 'TOP OF THE 7TH INNING'

ByteDance had acquired Shanghai-based video app Musical.ly in a $1 billion transaction in 2017, and relaunched it as TikTok the following year.

In its blog post, TikTok said the Trump administration violated its constitutional right to process by banning the company without notice.

It accused Trump of misusing the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which lets the president regulate international commerce during a national emergency.

Trump had in May 2019 invoked that law to stop alleged efforts by foreign telecommunications companies to conduct economic and industrial espionage against the United States.

TIKTOK SAYS US PURCHASE OF APP WOULD BE 'HUGE VALUE' TO TAXPAYERS

But TikTok said the Aug. 6 executive order was not supported by the emergency Trump declared a year earlier, and that the company did not provide the types of and services contemplated at that time.

It also said the executive order was not rooted in genuine national security concerns, adding: "We believe the Administration's decisions were heavily politicized, and industry experts have said the same."

ByteDance has been in talks to sell TikTok's North American, Australian and New Zealand operations to companies including Microsoft Corp and Oracle Corp.

Those assets could be worth $25 billion to $30 billion, people familiar with the matter have said.

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

Before buying TikTok, ByteDance had not sought advance approval from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, which reviews acquisitions for potential national security risks.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ON FOX BUSINESS

CFIUS later opened an investigation, and according to TikTok "repeatedly refused" to engage with ByteDance before saying it had found national security risks associated with the purchase.

(Reporting by New York Newsroom; Editing by Alistair Bell)

Source: Read Full Article