What are the car insurance rules about driving to work and what are the different types? | The Sun

WHETER you're using your car for commuting, dropping the kids off at school, or business – it's important that you choose the right class of use when buying car insurance.

But what are the rules when it comes to insuring your vehicle for work purposes? Here's everything you need to know.

How do car insurance rules work?

Choosing the right type of insurance for your car can be confusing, especially if you use your car for lots of different reasons.

One other thing to bear in mind is van insurance has different classes of use to car insurance – so it's always important to check online which policy you will need to cover the trips you're making.

Most insurance policies only apply when commuting to one place of work – and going out of your way to drop off a friend or family member could mean you're not covered.

Any diversion from your normal route could give your insurer a way to wriggle out of a claim – especially if you were knowingly doing so.

Flexible working, for example if you hot desk at multiple offices – could also mean a regular commuting policy doesn't cover you.

If you choose the wrong class of use, your car could be left uninsured and there can be severe penalties for driving without insurance.

If you're caught driving without valid insurance you could face:

  • Six penalty points added to your driving licence
  • A £300 fixed penalty
  • Losing your car if it's seized by the police
  • Collection fees to reclaim your car
  • A crushed car if it's not reclaimed within 14 days
  • Potential court prosecution – if this happens you can get an unlimited fine and be disqualified from driving.

What are the different types of car insurance?

Classes of use available on insurance policies include social only, commuting and business use.

The first covers non-work related driving only – social only insurance includes shopping, visiting friends or family and pleasure driving such as going to the park or on holiday.

The second is class up is commuting – this type of insurance covers everything from social, domestic and pleasure, to driving to and from one place of work in a day.

If you use your car as part of your job, or to drive to multiple sites in one day, you will need business use insurance – this is more expensive as you'll be covering more annual mileage and likely to be driving on unfamiliar roads.

What do the experts say?

Graeme Trudgill, executive director of the British Insurance Brokers' Association, said: "Travelling to a railway station on route to work, where the car is parked, is usually classed as commuting.

"The use does not allow you to drive to different places of work or, for example, to a training course for work at a different destination.

"Dropping someone else off at their place of work may also be classed as commuting by your insurer, providing this is on your normal commute.

"If you give someone a lift to their place of work which involves a diversion from your normal commute, please check with your insurance provider to clarify if they are happy this is considered to be commuting use.

She added: "Not all insurers do and so it is important not to assume that it is covered."

Ten things YOU should know as a car owner

  • When is your MOT due? Find out here
  • When is your car tax due? Find out here
  • Is it illegal to drive barefoot?
  • How many units can you drink and drive?
  • What do dashboard warning lights mean?
  • Is it illegal to drive without road tax?
  • Can you be fined for breaking the highway code?
  • How to change the address on your driving licence
  • What does MOT stand for?
  • Is it illegal to park across someone's driveway?

    Source: Read Full Article