PEOPLE are earning free stuff from Google with a special reward scheme which isn't widely known.
The tech giant runs a Local Guides programme which you've probably encountered before but not even realised it.
It's this club that provides all the useful information on Google Maps.
Whether it's a restaurant review, a photo upload of a little-known summer spot, or even a road that's not correctly listed, Local Guides are the backbone of all that information we use for free.
And Google rewards people who join the programme and actively provide content.
Users earn points for everything they share which increase your rank with virtual badges.
Read more about Google
Android users issued Google warning to block ‘creeps’ viewing your locations
Simple Google tricks instantly add bonus battery life – change 2 settings now
And overtime Google offers free stuff that could save you money.
For example, you can redeem six free months of Google One cloud storage for all your iPhone photos and videos instead of paying for iCloud.
Others say they've previously received money off cinema tickets and even a pair of Local Guide socks.
Annoyingly, there's no clear idea when Google rewards users with perks, many just keep at it.
Most read in Tech
Branson’s space travel firm Virgin Galactic to start commercial flights this month
AI reveals what iconic cartoon family would look like in real life
Wi-Fi speed is killed by two common household activities – move your router now
Nasa uncover clue on one of Saturn’s moons 'essential' to supporting alien life
But it's worth a shot for a couple of minutes of time – and it helps other Google Maps users too.
Google Maps Local Guide points
Here's an idea of the points you earn for each type of information or content you provide.
- Review – 10 points per review
- Review with more than 200 characters – 10 bonus points per review
- Rating – 1 point per rating
- Photo – 5 points per photo
- Photo tags – 3 points per tag
- Video – 7 points per video
- Answer – 1 point per answer
- Respond to Q&As – 3 points per response
- Edit – 5 points per edit
- Place added – 15 points per place added
- Road added – 15 points per road added
- Fact checked – 1 point per fact checked
- Eligible list published – 10 points per published list
- Description (in list) – 5 points per description added
What badges do you earn with Local Guides?
You go up a level when you earn so many Local Guides points.
From Level 4 onwards, a badge will appear next to your name.
- Level 1 – 0 points
- Level 2 – 15 points
- Level 3 – 75 points
- Level 4 – 250 points
- Level 5 – 500 points
- Level 6 – 1,500 points
- Level 7 – 5,000 points
- Level 8 – 15,000 points
- Level 9 – 50,000 points
- Level 10 – 100,000 points
How do I sign up to Local Guides?
You just need a Google Account to sign up to Local Guides.
Add your account to the programme via this link.
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
- How to delete your Instagram account
- What does pending mean on Snapchat?
- How to check if you've been blocked on WhatsApp
- How to drop a pin on Google Maps
- How can I change my Facebook password?
- How to go live on TikTok
- How to clear the cache on an iPhone
- What is NFT art?
- What is OnlyFans?
- What does Meta mean?
Get all the latest WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and other tech gadget stories here.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article